Don’t Put Yourself at Risk of Fire Due to Faulty Wiring

Faulty Wiring

Many house hunters are drawn to old homes. Many are charming with more elaborate design elements than in many newly built homes. According to, there are many benefits to purchasing an older, existing home.

  • Many older homes are less expensive than new homes.
  • When you buy an older home, you won’t have to wait for it to be built, which can sometimes take as long as a year for the build-out to be complete.
  • Some older homes are located in eclectic or historic areas, which may be good for resale values.
  • Older homes are ripe for remodels in many situations, allowing someone to elevate the value of the home, and then profit off that price difference. Equity is a beautiful thing

These are all great reasons to consider buying an older home, but there are some things to be aware of as well. Some may have old, leaky pipes that need to be replaced. Some updating may be needed to the surface of walls, roofs, and floors. Landscaping can be overgrown and in need of updating. Roots from large plants and trees can often begin to grow through the foundation and pipes.

Most important of all, the electricity and wiring may be out of date, and a potential fire hazard. Faulty wiring is a common issue with older homes and can be very dangerous to those who live in the building. Want to ruin your equity real fast? Don’t follow the below.

Be Aware of Faulty Wiring

Old, faulty wiring can be a fire hazard, so it is one of the first things you should check into if you are considering purchasing an older home. According to Popular Mechanics, any hold that is 40 or more years old may have damaged wiring. Before you purchase an older home, you should have it professionally checked out by a licensed electrician.

In the meantime, there are some things that you may notice that indicate wiring issues. Be on the lookout for:

  • Burning smells come from alliances or specific rooms.
  • Numerous extension cords are in use.
  • Wires with damaged insulation Tingling when you touch wall switches, appliances, or electrical outlets.
  • Fuses and breakers that frequently trip.
  • Ungrounded outlets.
  • Bathroom or kitchen outlets without reset buttons.
  • Discoloration around outlets and wall switches.

What To Do If You Have Dangerous Wiring

If you are considering purchasing a home over 40 years old, it is wise to have it checked before you commit to purchasing the property. Those that don’t take this precaution may find they are at risk of a fire.

Hiring an electrician to audit and replace these wires is the most proactive thing you can do. If being proactive just isn’t your style, prepare to call someone. Homes that have bad wiring to the point of a fire need companies like this talented little Montrose Fire Restoration Team to help them with consequences of the lacksadaisical attitude of their owners.