How to Build a Tiny House
Are you looking to build a tiny house? Building a tiny house offers many benefits.
Because of their size, tiny houses allow you to save a ton of money on electricity, heating and cooling, and other monthly expenses. Plus, tiny houses can be easily transported, which means you can see the world while still living comfortably.
However, to reap all of the benefits that a tiny house has to offer, you need to make sure you construct it the right way. Check out this guide to learn how to build a tiny house.
DIY vs Hiring Professionals
When building a tiny house, the biggest thing you need to consider is whether you should construct it on your own or hire professionals to do the job for you. There are pros and cons to each option, so make sure you consider them before you start your project.
Here are some of the biggest benefits of building a tiny house on your own:
- The build moves at your own pace
- Save money on labor costs
- Have better control over your budget
- Get the satisfaction of building a home from start to finish on your own
- Get more time to interact with the space and make design adjustments as needed
- Have the ability to use reclaimed materials
- You’ll learn new skills
- Your home will be 100% unique
Of course, building on your own also comes with some downsides, which include:
- Must be self-motivated to keep the project going
- Need to have some level of construction knowledge to build the house correctly
- Need to factor in the time it takes to learn how to use different construction tools properly
- Need to find a place to build
- If you’re working full-time, it can take a lot longer to complete your project
- Don’t have any expert advice or construction warranties to lean on
Here are some of the benefits of hiring professionals to build your tiny home:
- Access to expert knowledge and advice
- Access to a wide range of building materials
- Save time and eliminate mistakes
- Don’t need to learn any new skills
- Receive guidance throughout the process
And, here are the downsides to hiring a builder:
- Takes time to research a reputable builder
- Less control over the finished product
- Shipping and labor costs can be expensive
There’s no right or wrong answer when choosing between building your tiny home yourself and hiring a professional. Take some time to weigh these pros and cons to figure out which option is right for you.
Keep in mind that if you’re not super particular about the design, you can also buy a tiny house that’s already built. Many people go for this option as it saves a ton of time. For example, you can buy tiny houses from Acton ADU.
Tips for Building a Tiny House
Whether you build your home on your own or hire a professional, here are some tips to keep in mind when building a tiny house:
Check Your Local Laws
Before you break ground on your tiny home, you need to figure out what building permits you need. If you plan to connect your tiny home to a trailer, you may not need a building permit at all.
However, local laws can vary, so it’s important to check before you build. If you don’t plan for your tiny home to be mobile, then you’ll need to find a plot of land to build it on. If you don’t have your own property to keep or build your tiny home on, you should contact local farms, ranches, and businesses.
A lot of these places are open to renting out extra space for you to build or store your tiny home.
Don’t Just Shrink Everything
Thinking that you can shrink everything in your regular home down to a smaller size is one of the biggest mistakes people make when building tiny homes.
If you shrink bathroom or bedroom space too extensively, it can put a serious damper on your quality of living. A better way to go about things is to look into multifunctionality. That is, find pieces of furniture that have multiple uses.
For example, you can purchase a bed with storage space or a bookshelf that transforms into a desk. Or, you can build adaptable walls that can pull out and be transformed into tables and seating.
Begin With a Design
Before you start building a tiny home, it’s very important that you have a detailed design put together. Instead of just writing everything down on paper, we recommend using a software program that allows you to lay out everything room by room and square foot by square foot.
This way, nothing will be left unaccounted for. Here are some tips to keep in mind when putting together your tiny house design:
- Opt for high ceilings
- Keep things clear above the waist
- Install plenty of windows and mirrors
- Choose light colors
- Make every space multifunctional
- Utilize sliding walls
- Avoid partitions
- Don’t forget about storage
- Use fold-down options
With these tips, you’ll be well on your way to designing the tiny house of your dreams.
Choose the Right Materials
When building a tiny house, the materials you choose are very important. The most commonly used material for constructing a tiny house is plywood.
Lumber is also another popular choice, and many people also like to incorporate recyclable materials into their design.
How to Build a Tiny House: Are You Ready to Build?
Now that you know how to build a tiny house, it’s time to get started. Before you know it, you’ll have constructed the tiny house of your dreams.
For more tiny house building tips and tricks, be sure to check back in with our blog.